Jun 27, 2014

Book Review: Impostor (Variants, #1) by Susanne Winnacker


Impostor (Variants, #1)
by Susanne Winnacker

Let me begin this review by saying that the love I have for this book is endless. Impostor hit the trifecta for me: a suspenseful mystery, a beautiful love story and a kick-ass heroine. What's not to love?

So, this is the story of Tessa. Tessa is a Variant and like others of her kind she has special powers and lives and works in the FEA, a kind of FBI agency but with Variants. When a serrial killer hits a small town in Oregon, Tessa is sent there to take the place of his latest victim, pretending the girl never died but instead lost part of her memory.

This book was a surprise. I picked it up with no expectations at all, even though it was pitched as Veronica Mars meets the X-Men. Many books have an awesome tagline just to turn out to be a disappointment, but not Impostor. Unraveling this well-woven mystery was a delight. It makes me wish I could erase this book from my memory just to experience it anew. I loved how everyone was a suspect and had a motive. I kept guessing until the very end, making my own theories about each character.

Another thing I loved about this book is the love story. I hate it when a mystery is all about the love story and we never get to see much serial killer action. That wasn't the case here. If there is one thing FEA knows how to do is its job, and the agents' main goal is to find the killer. Yes, there were sweet and frustrating moments between Tess and her boy but none of them overshadowed the main plotline, which was the mystery.

Finally, my ultimate instalove in this book was Tess. She is an amazing MC. I was immediately drawn to her. The things she's been through and the person she had to become made me love her and root for her happily ever after. She was kick-ass in her own way, curious, smart, caring and most of all flawed. Another thing I loved about her is that thoughout the book she learns how to love and accept herself the way she is and starts making hard decisions for her own good.

All in all, if you haven't read this book, what are you waiting for? It's perfect for mystery fans or any kind of paranormal fans for that fact, also has the whole FBI/secret agency conspiracy theme that I always love in movies. I seriously can't recommend this book enough. I believe so far this year, this is my top 1 book. I can't believe I am lucky enough to have read it just as the sequel came out. Talk about good timing...

No comments:

Post a Comment