Jul 26, 2014

Book Review: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien


The Hobbit
by J.R.R. Tolkien

Finally the day has come where I picked this book up and actually read it. I regret nothing! The Hobbit is a beautiful tale, filled with adventurous, new lands and races. Bilbo Baggins leaves his quite life in Bag-End behind in order to join 13 dwarves in their journey to get their long lost gold back, from a vicious dragon. This is of course not they only adventure they will get themshelves into until reaching the end.

"This is a story of how a Baggins had an adventure, and found himself doing and saying thinhs altogether unexpected. He may have lost the neighbours' respect, but he gained - well, you will whether he gained anything in the end."

I have no words to describe how much I loved this book, but I might as well try. First of, Tolkien's writing is a work of art by itself. So beautiful and poetic. It makes you fall in love with the story immediately. It is kind of hard to read through, definitely not a fast read, but such a great masterpiece.

But beware, if like me you have watched the films first and then go into this book, you are in for a big surprise. This is exactly like the movie but also nothing like them. The main plotline is the same but all the little details and fights and even some characters never appear in the book. Which was kind of sad, because I loved the movies so much. But once you accept that this is a fairytale book, a book that I personaly would have loved to have read growing up, you are in for a life-changing trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment