Jul 5, 2014

Book Review: Deadly Cool (Deadly Cool, #1) by Gemma Halliday


Deadly Cool (Deadly Cool, #1)
by Gemma Halliday

I've been in the mood for YA mystery books lately, so it was only natural that I picked up Deadly Cool, since I owned it ever since it came out. In this book, Hartley finds out that her boyfriend is cheating on her and decides to confront him, but when she sneaks in his bedroom, instead of him she finds a dead girl, the girl he was cheating with. After that Hartley's world is turned upside down. The police is after her ex-boyfriend, the media is all over her and her whole school is talking about the girl that finds dead bodies. And did I forget to mention that her ex is counting on her to find the real killer.

This was a very fast paced book. Hartley was a very enjoyable person. She was fun and quirky and most of all loyal, even to her ex who didn't really deserve her. She knows that he is not the killer and will do anything in her power to prove it, even if it means getting herself in harms way. Another person I thoroughly enjoyed during this book was Chase, the bad boy that helps Hart with her investigation. He is smart and curious and the editor of the school's newspaper. Doesn't really hurt that he is drop dead gorgeous either, although I wouldn't mind if he wasn't.

The mystery in this book is not what I am used to. During the story Hartley gets a lot of tips and info but everything leads to a dead end. No one seems to have a motive (I am used to the exact opposite, everyone being a suspect) so no one is a valid suspect. And once the killer was releaved it felt kind of awkward. There was this big monologue explaining everything that went down, which I am not a big fan of. I prefer to fit the little pieces of info together myself that have the whole puzzle solution told to me. But besided this part, the book was a really fun read and I am looking forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment