Oct 23, 2012

Chain Letter (Chain Letter #1) by Christopher Pike

Last Summer Alison and her friends got involve in an accident and a man got hurt. They decided to bury this deadly secret deep in their minds and never talk about it again, but someone else knows, he calls himself the Caretaker. He has started a chain letter and for each of them to stay safe they have to do whatever he wishes. With every request Alison will find out things about her friends she never knew, get closer to the boy of her dreams and be forced to face her worst nightmares.

I loved this book. It's the first Pike book I've ever read but it surely won't be the last one. It started out reminding me of I Know What You Did Last Summer (big horror fan here) but still I loved every minute of it. Alison was a great character and she took control of the situation when noene else could. She is a real fighter. We also get a few chapters from Tony's POV, her love interest, who is also another great character. He has so much guilt in him and so much pain but never lets it show.

Now, about the story, it unfolded perfectly. The Caretaker was someone you don't wanna mess with. And there were bits and pieces that would make everyone a suspect but if you paid close attention from the beginning till the end you can figure it out, just like I did. Whenever I read a book when I know we will get to guess who the bad guy is I keep my eyes open for every single clue.

I loved the creepy mood of this book and the action scene at the end. It was just like a horror movie. I literally couldn't sleep until the book was over, so I stayed up till 4am to finish it. So worth it! Now I can't even begin to imagine what will happen in the next one.

★★★★★

4 comments:

  1. this sounds like the perfect book for Halloween! Great review.

    - Ellie @ The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking I know What You Did Last Summer when I read the synopsis. I know you don't just hand out five stars and this sounds awesome! I am off to hunt up a copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good and I see that the second may be even better, but I will have to finish it to be sure. The omnibus review is going to be featured in my next Something Wicked Comes post.

      Delete
  3. I've actually haven't seen this one before so thanks for bringing it to my attention! It sounds v. mysterious! :)

    ReplyDelete