Nov 20, 2011

Author Interview - David A. Santos

I am a 27 year old homeles....wait not yet, but I am unemployed and I am actually thankful. Had i never left that job I wouldnt have discovered my "gift" to write. We get so wrapped up in life that we don't have time to discover our God given talents (not saying I'm a NYTimes Best seller, but I'm proud of what I wrote).


***

Q: Let's begin with your book The Hopeless Christiantic, can you tell me a few things about it?
A: Too much drama even for Obama. Lots of drama, friends turning against friends, blackmail, backstabbing, rumors....it was not easy making this book religious.It is also a humor book as well so if you enjoy laughing with a subtle romance, this should be a nice pick up. Fairly short book. Shouldn't take longer than 3 hours to read.

Q: What triggered the idea of it, where did it all begin?
A: Boredom. Seriously, a teacher form college said how much she enjoyed my essays and I always wanted to write a story book, but could never figure out how. One night I just started to write ideas. Looked at some books for an example on how dialogue is done and it went from there.

Q: How did you create your main characters, are they based on anyone?
A: They were not based on anyone. Although I did use real life situations to build the characters. For Jessica, I got the inspiration for her from Christine Lakin (real name) in Step by Step and Darlene from Rosanne. Both girls were entertaining and had an edge to them. That's what I wanted to give Jessica. Peter is a player so it wasn't hard to write him, I'd just follow any guy around aha. A lot of people think the books is based on real life because the main character carries my nickname "Das" which are the initials to my full name, but clearly its not me because he has girls chasing him and graduated college. I guess....and this may sound emotional but, he could be me, but a success in the areas I've failed in.

Q: What do you love the most about your novel? 
A: Jessica! I've declared my love for her many times. She's feisty, yet smart. With out a doubt the most entertaining character in the book. I enjoyed writing things for her and she is in the book, Faithless Christiantic which should be released soon, a lot.

Q: Where do you usually draw inspiration from?
A: The church youth, not just mine, but all churches. I see the junk that's been entering their minds. The drastic change in TV shows, music and books from the 1990's to now. I want to reach out to them and show them the right way and how we should behave as Christian teens. When I see their struggles, their doubts and their lack of interest in Godly things it inspires me to write. I don't expect to change them all, but if my books can change one life for the better, I'm happy.

Q: What do you think is the best and what's the worst thing about being a writer?
A: Distractions and life. I am usually up at 2 am-4am writing because of the daily city noises, that is the only quiet time I have to focus. And life is stressful. It is hard to sit and write when life is stressing you out. Writers block doesn't effect me, because it doesn't exist.

Q: How was your trip through writing and publishing so far?
A: A headache. I went to so many people and being unemployed it's not easy coming up with funds to pay for books, editing, covers etc. I had to eventually edit myself......not a good idea. You will find a few mistakes in both books, but it happens when the author does the entire thing himself instead of a group.

Q: If you could travel back in time would you have done any of it differently?
A: Yes, but nothing that's related to these books!

Q: Do you have any tips or suggestions for new writers?
A: Don't get discouraged. Don't....I have nothing. I'm terrible at giving out advice.

Q: What should we expect from you in the future? Do you have any new projects under construction?
A: The Faithless Christiantic should be out soon and I am working on book 3 of the series, but will be given a different title. Hopefully everyone enjoys them as much as I did writing them.

***

You can find David  at his website and on goodreads.
You can get his book The Hopeless Christiantic from Amazon.

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds so unique! Thanks for interviewing the author!

    ReplyDelete