Oct 13, 2011

Nearly Departed (Weirdsville, #1) by Rook Hastings

I picked this up expecting to just read a kind of scary story, but it turned out to be so much more!

Bethan, Jay, Kelly, Hashim and Emily never thought they'd ever hang out with each other, but when a teacher puts them all in the same team for a school project everything changes. Emily confesses to them that she can hear ghosts and that she thinks her house is haunting. Each, for a different reason, decides to investigate the house and they find out more than they bargain for. The five of them will get tangled up in their town's secrets and one of them won't make it out alive.

As I got to know the characters and their stories, inner fears and hopes, I became more and more aware that they really resemble normal, everyday people. Everyone has their own personal ghosts and their own fight. Apart they are, sometimes, helpless, but together they can overcome almost everything. All of them so much different but so much alike.

Rook Hastings sets a great beginning for a series I never thought I'd fall in love with. I can't wait to start the next book and spend more haunted nights in Weirdsville.


★★★★★

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great read. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks good to me. I think I've seen it somewhere, but I can't remember :P I don't read a lot of ghostly stories... I'm too chicken for these kind of books. I try to avoid them but I can still read some every once in a while =)

    I'm a new follower =) Have a happy weekend! You sure live in one of the beautiful place I want to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Paula: It really is! :)

    @Book4Juliet: Thanks for the follow! :)
    I love horror stories, I grew up reading Goosebumps and these kind of books always keep me hooked up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I missed the 'event.' Your blog looks great...I'll add it to my Google Reader. :)

    ReplyDelete