Jun 17, 2014

Book Review: Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1) by Danielle Paige


I've been dying to read Dorothy Must Die ever since it came out. I am a huge fan of the Wizard of Oz and I was really curious to see how Danielle Paige's story portrayed Oz and the events after Dorothy left (and returned) to Oz. After reading No Place Like Oz, the prequel that made me root for Dorothy, I was really excited to see how much of an evil queen she turned out to be. And let me tell you she did. 

In this book it's Amy's turn to visit Oz. She is anothe girl from Kansas, but unlike Dorothy her life back home is not one she wants to return to. Her mother is a drunk who rarely pays her any attention, she has zero friends at school and people are calling her Salvation Amy. So, when a tornado transports her to Oz, she thinks it's the opportunity of her lifetime, especially since what she read of Oz paints a pretty good picture. But Oz is not how it used to be. The new queen, Dorothy, is sucking all the magic out of the land collecting it for herself. The Scarecrow, the Tin Woodman and the Lion are her generals, terrorizing the good people of Oz and Glinda the Good, well, she is not that good. Amy soon find that out and she joins a rebellion army (an army of Wicked Witches) to fight against Dorothy. Amy is the key to that war, since she is the only one who can kill Dorothy.

I loved this book. I really did. Danielle Paige did an amazing job, bringing Oz back to life. Her descriptions were magical, even though Oz is not what is used to be it's still a very unique and fairytale place, at least that's how I saw it. But don't let that get you fooled. Dorothy is a true evil queen. There is no luck of deaths, cruel too, in this book. I thought, since this was Oz, things would be more fluffy and fairytale like, but this is a true war. There are a lot of battles, with casualties of course, a lot of creepy experiments, hail to the Scarecrow, and of course Dorothy is not someone you want to mess with. Oh, and Glinda... don't get me started on her. She is always there watching, never saying anything, she creeps the shit out of me. Now, that's a villain!

This book had everything. From bloddy fights to swoon worthy moments. I did enjoy the fact that the main focus was not the love between Amy and a certain character, but mostly Amy herself, the change she had to go through to become who the Order of the Wicked wanted her to be. And Dorothy, of course. Whenever she came around I knew there was not going to be a dull second. I am still a fan of her, even though she is a evil b*tch. Call me a romantic, but I still believe there is hope for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment