Mar 15, 2013

Dead Is the New Black (Dead Is #1) by Marlene Perez

Dead is the New Black is the beginning of Daisy's story in Nightshade. A town different from the others, since its inhabitants are not only human, but vamps, werewolves, banshee and more. But Daisy and her family are not normal either. Rose, her oldest sister can read peoples minds, Poppy, the middle sister, is a telekinetic and her mom is a psychic. But Daisy has no powers...yet.

Daisy's mother is helping the local police with a case of a dead girl and Daisy decides it's her time to show her family that even without powers she can help solve the case. With her friend, that she sees like something more than just a friend, she brakes in the morgue to she the dead girl. A few days later the body is missing and more and more girls are targeted and this time from her own school and everyone suspects a vampire. Daisy decides it's time to join the cheerleading squad to keep a closer eye on the captain, Samantha, who had returned from her summer vacations looking a bit dead.

I really enjoyed this book. It was fun and fast paced. I especially loved the sisters and how the interacted and then there was the town, yes the town. I fell in love with it. The way we got to drive around it and learn some parts of its history and well whatever memories Daisy and her sisters had of it. It was very entertaining.

Now, the love interest, Ryan, Daisy's friend. He was cute and adorable, but I felt like one minute they were having their first kiss (just to cover what they were really doing, sleuthing) and the next they were dating. It was a bit fast for me.

Also I just wish we learned more about Rose and Poppy, especially Rose and her hot boyfriend/werewolf. Now that is a love story I would love to hear all about. And finally there is Samantha, who seems to have all these secrets and be so much more than she originally appeared to be. Can't wait to learn what is going on with her either.

Anyways, I am definitely going to read the rest of the series. I couldn't help but fall in love with Nightshade and now I want more.
★★★★☆

1 comment:

  1. oh please no random romances for me. I can't stand fast paced romances like that. I am not a big paranormal fan but I do like mysteries and this sounds great. Daisy also sounds awesome.

    great review,
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete